12 March 2013

Solange, Sapeurs and the Summer Sun


When this video for Solange Knowles single, 'Losing You', came out last year, I was immediately drawn to the colours, style and fashion of both the singer and those around her.  Shot in the township of Langa, in Cape Town, South Africa, the video reveals its vibrant culture and community.  For me, though, the main stars are the Sapeurs, the fashion dandy men of Brazzaville, the capital city of the Republic of the Congo.  Supposedly the video was inspired by the book,  Gentlemen of Bacongo by Daniele Tamagni, who photographed members of the Le Sape Society, or 'Society for the Advancement of People of Elegance'!!!  Now doesn't that sound like something you'd want to join!!

I've been really into West African fabrics recently, from kanga to wax cloth.  My mom, on a recent trip to South Africa, brought me back some different patterns and sizes of fabric and I can't wait to figure out what to do with them.  Love these bags from Lalesso x Pichulik and these huge floor pillows from Tamara Magal in Lonny magazine.  Oh the endless possibilities!  It doesn't hurt that these colours fill me with longing for the summer sun and keep these dark winter days from being too gloomy!!


Photos from here & here.


No comments:

Post a Comment